Friday, August 12, 2005

Holiday! Celebrate!

So I started my new job on July 4. Today the contract arrived in the mail. I leafed through it, skimming the bits about how working hours are "to be negotiated with your supervisor", skipping entirely the bits about pensions. What grabbed my attention was this:

"Holiday entitlement:
You are entitled to 38 days' holiday, including 8 statutory holidays, in any one year (commencing with the effective date of your appointment)..."

38 days' holiday, including 8 statutory holidays.

THIRTY-EIGHT DAYS. During a ONE-YEAR CONTRACT.

Having lived in the States for the past 7 years, I'm used to people complaining about how they don't get any paid holidays their first year on the job, and even after that they have to wheel and deal in order to be able to take more than two days off at xmas.

THIRTY-EIGHT DAYS.

Couple that with "working hours are to be negotiated with your supervisor" and I can essentially spend all next summer on the Riviera.

1 comment:

evilsciencechick said...

you can do some serious time in prison for statutory holiday.